Visit in the U.S.

Generally, if you want to visit (and not live in) the United States you must first obtain a visitor visa.

(1) Business (B-1): examples of activities permitted including:

    1. consult with business associates
    2. attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
    3. settle an estate
    4. negotiate a contract

(2) Tourism and Visit (B-2): examples of activities permitted including:

    1. tourism
    2. vacation (holiday)
    3. visit with friends or relatives
    4. medical treatment
    5. participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
    6. participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contest, if not being paid for participating
    7. enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

(3) Visa Waiver Program: Travelers coming to the U.S. for tourism or business for 90 days or less from qualified countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. without a visa if they meet the visa waiver program requirements.

(4) Travel Purposes Not Permitted On Visitor Visas include:

    1. Study
    2. Employment
    3. Paid performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience
    4. Arrival as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft
    5. Work as foreign press, radio, film, journalist, and other information media
    6. Permanent residence in the U.S.
Source: U.S. Dept. of State

2013 © All Rights Reserved. Law Offices of Stephen H. Lee, PC
7700 Little River Turnpike, Suite 405, Annandale, VA 22003

Contact 703) 658-7007    Fax 703) 658-7001    email: